Saturday 28 July 2018

ANIKE: Episode 4,5&6


Olamilekan called me in the evening, but I refused to pick the call, our visit to his house led to all this problem. Tinuke picked the call instead since I refused to pick up.

I heard Tinuke telling the guy that he's free to come to our hostel anytime.
“You invited him over again?” I asked when she ended the call.

“Yes, do you have a problem with that” she said with a straight face.

“No, I just thought that’s the last person you’d want to see, after what your visit to his place caused you.”

“He has nothing to do with what happened today.”

“Tinuke! I can see you badly need a male friend, the one your boyfriend deprived you from having for a very long time now.”
“Whatever” Tinuke gestured with her hand.

Olamilekan came to the hostel on Sunday afternoon. Tinuke told him everything that happened on Saturday, I also informed him that Tinuke broke up with her boyfriend because of me. We both pleaded with Tinuke to make up with her boyfriend.

I couldn’t believe I spoke freely with him this time. He also said it himself before he left that he was so happy that I finally spoke to him freely. He really enjoyed our company and he returned back to his lodge in the evening.

One week was gone already, Tinuke and her boyfriend are still not talking, I was feeling guilty about this, I knew my friend was doing this because of me, this is not their first time of having issues but they always resolve it.
“Friendship, I think you should talk things through with your boyfriend” I adviced.

“Noted, thanks” She responded sharply.
“Tinuke, stop forming super woman, please end this fight for all it worth.”

“Ok.....I’ve heard you. If he calls next time, I’ll pick it.”
“Promise?”
“Promise” she raised her right hand up.”
“Thanks.”

I went to the salon to make my hair, I asked Tinuke to follow me but she said I should go alone that she can’t be following me everywhere so I went alone. I returned to the hostel only to meet her friend crying.

“Tinuke why are you doing this to yourself? I know you miss him but you refuse to pick his calls, he sent several messages which you ignore as well. He even sent you your monthly pocket money which means he’s not fighting you.

I picked my phone and dialed Sam's no.
“Hello please hold on for her I think she’s ready to talk now” I said and passed the Phone to Tinuke. I left the room to give them privacy, clearly I’m still pissed with the guy myself because I did not even allow him talk before I handed the phone to Tinuke.

“Hope you guys have settled” I said as I entered the room.
“Yes we have, nagode (thank you) in fact Sam could not believe you could call him to make us settle our fight. He said he’s really sorry for those hurtful words, he’ll call you himself to apologize” she said with a brightened face.
“That’s not necessary, once you guys are good, then I’m fine.”
“Haba Anike you talked me into forgiving him and you have to do the same too ‘Dan Allah' (please).

Sam called me minutes later but I refused to pick the call. Tinuke told her boyfriend to give me time to come around.

★★★★

Olamilekan and I became good friends. He asked me out but I was concerned about the difference in our level at first. 100 and 400l, he’ll be graduating soon.

But after so much pestering especially from my friend, I agreed to date him. I told Tinuke about it.

“I decided to give the relationship a trial. I told Olamilekan today that I’m in, we are now dating” I informed her.
“I’m happy for you, I really like that guy for you. He’s a nice guy you know. Team Olamilekan any day, anytime.” she screamed.

“And I guess you’ll do thanksgiving in church for this because your wish has finally been fulfilled” I said.

“Yes o, thank God it didn’t take you so long to figure it out, I’ve always known he had eyes for you, I wish you guys the best” she said and hugged me.

Olamilekan any day, anytime.” she screamed.
“And I guess you’ll do thanksgiving in church for this because your wish has finally been fulfilled” I said.

“Yes o, thank God it didn’t take you so long to figure it out, I’ve always known he had eyes for you, I wish you guys the best” she said and hugged me.

Exams started and two weeks later, we were through with our exams and preparing to travel home, we’ve both booked our flight tickets.

“I’m eating dinner tomorrow in my house by God’s grace unlike some people who will eat theirs in their boyfriend’s house” I teased.
“Na you sabi o, I’m spending just two days at his place.

My boyfriend’s call came through. He asked when I was going I told him the next day. He said he'll drop me off at the airport. I told him my flight is 8:45am. So he had to come very early. And he promised to come on time.

“You guys are traveling together, so it’s now association of Lagosians abi? Tinuke asked.

“No o, he just want to drop us off at the airport, he's travelling a day after tommorow. But we’ll see in Lagos.”

“Me! I don’t like that your Lagos for anything.”
“We don’t want you sef, go to that your boring Abuja.”

“At least its better than your noisy Lagos.”
“If I carry you go Banana Island you go love Lagos…o” I sang teasing her with the song.

“See you, you don’t like Pawpaw Island.”
“Thank you…..Eko State! here I come” I said throwing my hands in the air...


Anike:
(Episode 6)

Everything was going on smoothly between
us, we find time to hang out once in a
while, I got to meet Olamilekan’s friend
Jude. I love his choice of friends, they have
so many things in common. Olamilekan also
gave me a copy of the key to his room. He
said I can always come around any day,
anytime, he said I should onsider it as my
second room.

We were really getting serious and
Olamilekan was a sweet guy to be with.
Tinukes got a call from home. Her mum
called and informed her that her grandma
passed on and she said she has to join
them in ogbomosho her home town, this
weekend for her burial.

Her grandma who died at 85 already
instructed her children before she died that
they must bury her immediately when she
died, she hated the morgue”.

“Can you sleep in the room all alone?” she
asked.

“I doubt if I can sleep here alone, I’m not
used to it” I said.

“I have an idea, maybe you should spend
the weekend at his place”.

“And by his, you mean olamilekan right? No
way”.

“I don’t want you to be lonely while I’m
gone, you know how dry hostel is on
weekends and that’s the only place that can
assure me that you’ll be fine without me.

I’ll give him a call, because I know how
stubborn you can be sometimes”.

“Please don’t call him, at least I have a
room to myself at home, its just that this
place will be empty without you, but I’ll be
fine”.

“I’m calling him, watch me” she took her
phone and put a call through to him.

She called Olamilekan and told him about
her grandma and trip to ogbomoso. “Please
come pick her up on Friday evening,
because I’m sure my stubborn friend won’t
come on her own and that’s why I’m calling
you personally” She said and ended the
call.

I thanked her for planning my weekend for
me without my consent.

In the evening, I was busy preparing dinner
and gisting with Tinuke while she on the
other hand, lay on the bed. We were
discussing about the fight that happened in
class that day between two girls that fought
over a guy, inside the lecture theater.

“That reminds me. Anike, have you guys
talked about s-x?”
“Tinuke!”
“I’m serious o, you guys need to make
decisions on what you want in this
relationship”.

“Please just stop, I can’t believe we are
having this conversation. I’m not a baby,
spare me the lectures”.

“You are a baby, because you are new in
this game. I’m a year older than you and I
still have experience than you, this is the
first relationship both of you are having, so
shut up and listen.

First, both of you have to know your HIV
status, then in order to avoid unwanted
pregnancy, you have to use protection. Now
as your friend I’m asking, what do you
want?”

“Tinuke, honestly, I want to remain a virgin
till I get married. I just wish we are on the
same page”.

“It takes two to tango you know, hence the
reason to talk about it and remember you
are spending the weekend at his place”
“We’ll talk about it, thank you. Counsellor Tinuke"

“You are welcome” she winked at me.

Lectures ends by 12pm on Fridays, we
headed straight to the hostel after lectures.
Tinuke pack some few things for her
journey, I saw her off to the park, I waited
for the bus to move before I left the park .
I got back to the hostel and most of the
rooms were locked.

By 4pm, the hostel was almost empty,
especially the rooms in our wing.

I thought about everything Tinuke said and
it got me scared. Maybe I should just stay
in the hostel, I’ll survive” I said trying to
encourage myself.

Olamilekan called me later around 6pm, he
said he’ll be in the hostel in 20mins. I told
him not to bother but he said he had
already promised Tinuke.

I packed everything I knew I’d need for the
weekend, Olamilekan came by to pick me. I
was already set, he grab the bag and felt
the weight.

“If I may ask, why is this bag heavy Anike?
its just two days”
“I know, its just that I packed everything I’ll
need along with me”
“Like what ma?” he asked with sarcasm
“My personal things including some fast
food”
“What?” he shouted placing his hand on his
temple.
“ I’m sorry I only took beverages, cereal
and noodles”
“Jesus! Anike”

Olamilekan sank into the bed and turned
the standing fan to face him, because he
suddenly started sweating.

“Please hold on a sec, I think I need some
air”.

“Why are u sweating all of a sudden, is it
because of what I said?”

“Anike! Please just keep quiet, I don’t want
to raise my voice at you” he paused for a
bit then continued.

I have never been humiliated like this all
my life, you packed foodstuff? You know
I’m still trying hard to comprehend this”
“I’m sorry, if you don’t like it, I don’t want
to inconvenient you, I don’t like been a
burden to people….”
“Anike! Stop talking”
“I can see you are angry, I’ll leave them
behind”
“You will leave everything behind “ he said
firmly”
“What! including my clothes too” I said
trying to pick my clothes from the bag. You
know what I’m not going again”
“Fine, then stay because if you are coming
with me then you are not taking anything
with you and I mean it, imagine you even
pack your cover clothes, you are just so
unbelievable. I doubt if I can put up with
this your childish attitude ” he said throwing
his hands into the air.

That was the first time we argued,
Olamilekan was really pissed off, I looked
into his eyes, and saw that part of him I
never saw before and it’s not nice at all. I
had to change my mind. He left the room
and I followed after him after locking the
door.

Inside the car, I was thinking of how I’ll
spend two days with him without clothes, or
did he except me to wear his clothes. I
looked up and realized he was taking
another route.

“Olamilekan, this is not the way to your
house” I said breaking the silence.

“Of course, I know the way to my house”
“Its like you are still angry” I said and he
didn’t say a word.

He parked in front of a shopping mall, he
alighted from the car, went to the other
side of car and opened the car door for
me. He held my hand still not smiling and
led me into the mall.

“Pick everything thing you need for the
weekend” he ordered
“Must you do this” I asked

“Yes, since you think I’m not capable to
host you for two days, then I think its high
time I flaunt my riches, so start shopping,
girlfriend” he commanded and I obeyed.

When I was through, he paid via POS and
went straight to the car. I followed him
back to the car.

“The only thing you can’t get in my room is
a ladies wears” he said and drove off.

That was the only statement he altered
throughout the drive. And that silence
made me boiled within me.

★★★★

Olamilekan helped me carried my things
from the car into the room, we got back
around 7:30pm. From the mall down to his
lodge, none of us talked to each other. I
called Tinuke to ask after her journey.

“I’m missing you already” I said to her
while we were talking on phone.

“Don’t miss me too much, don’t worry your
boyfriend will fill in for me”. Little did she
know that we are not on good terms.

We talk briefly before ending the call.

“What do you want for dinner?” he asked

“Nothing” I replied

“Anike for the love of God, why are you
making a mountain out of a mole hill”

“I said I don’t want anything, in fact I want
to go back to the hostel” I bursted into
tears.

Olamilekan was sad when he saw me
crying, he quickly rushed to my side to
comfort me.

“Anike mi, please stop crying”

“Let me cry, you refused to talk to me, if
you are still angry with me, then let me
leave”

“I’m not angry at you believe me, though I
don’t like what happened earlier, I just
gave you the piece of my mind and it has
ended right there in your room”

I stopped crying because of what he said.

He asked what I wanted for dinner but I
told him I was not hungry that all I want is
a good sleep. I slept without taking dinner.

I woke up in the middle of the night, I
checked the time and to my surprise its
1:00am, I recollected everything that
happened that night. Unknown to me
Olamilekan was awake too. I woke up
hungry so I told him I was hungry. He went
into the kitchen and made noodles for me.

After eating, I went back to sleep. I woke
up early that Saturday morning because of
the physics practical class I have by 9am. I
was about to enter the bathroom to take
my bath, when he called out.

“There is towel, toothbrush and toiletries in
the bathroom, and they are all new”

“Thanks, I’m using yours except you don’t
like the idea” I said teasingly.

“Really! Are you sure?”

“Except your toothbrush” I said smiling.
“Come here” he said pulling me into an
embrace. My Anike is growing
“So I’m a baby right”up”.

I showered and joined him in the kitchen,
He already boiled yam, and I fried the egg.
I served the food. “We are eating together”
I told him.
“Yes ma” he said.

After breakfast I left for my practical class
after.

I came back around 4pm, I met him
watching a football match. Guys can bore
you with their weekend football matches.

“Welcome, how was the practical class?” he
asked, he’s eyes fixed on the game.

“A bit stressful, I had to fill in for Tinuke
too, but it’s fine”
“Do you mind us going out later, I don’t
want to bore you here with football”
“Let’s stay indoor, you can continue with
your match. I’ll freshing up and join you
later”

Later in the night, we were about to sleep,
then I remembered the issues I want to
discuss with Olamilekan.

“Olamilekan, Are you sleeping already?” I
asked to be sure since his eyes was closed.

“No, you need something?”
“Not really, there’s an issue I’d like us to
discuss” Olamilekan sat up.

“What issue? I cleared my throat.
“I want us to discuss about s-x as regarding
this relationship”

He smiled. “Anike, for the record, this is not
you talking, that’s your friend talking”

“And how do you know that?”

“Trust me I sure know what Tinuke is
capable of saying”

Anyways, He was right. I told him I want to
keep my virginity till I get married and he
agreed. I was happy and I counted myself
lucky to have that kind of a guy.

I returned to the hostel on Sunday, I had
already called my friend and she informed
me that she’s on her way. I tidy up the
room and did some washing, I also cooked
for my friend, so she could eat something
when she comes back.

“Welcome” I said and help her with her
bag.

“How was your journey?”
“Fine, I bless God”
“And the burial?”
“It went well, all thanks to God”
Tinuke called her parent and boyfriend to
let them know she has gotten to school. She
showered and went straight to sleep. I
persuaded her to eat before sleeping but to
avail. She woke up after two hours, now
she looked refreshed.

“Can I serve you food now” I asked
“Not now, maybe later, thanks. So how did
your weekend go with Olamilekan, please I
don’t mind hearing details” she said
teasingly. I downloaded the movie that
played during the weekend between my
boyfriend and I...






To be continued....

Blessing Edet

No comments:

Post a Comment